You can add this wire tank topper to the top of a 10 gallon aquarium to add space to your hamster’s home. Here are the pluses and minuses.
- The topper includes a wire cage top, a hideout house, water bottle, food dish, shelves and ramps.
- It comes with two clips to attach the wire top to your fish tank.
- Easy to assemble as it fits right on top of the aquarium.
- It gives your hamster about double the space to move around in and explore. Instead of just running around on the floor of the fish tank, your hammy can run up and down the ramps and on the shelves.
- Easy to clean. Just take the clips off to remove the top for cleaning. (You still have to clean out the glass cage itself.) Reassembly is also easy. This saves you a lot of time.
- Good size for one Syrian hamster.
- Good value. If you use this topper and a fish tank you get a complete hamster cage at a good price.
- Fits some aquariums better than others. There can be small differences in the dimensions of fish tanks, even if its size is 10 gallons. If your topper doesn’t fit smoothly on your tank, don’t fight it – just take it back.
- Because of the spacing between the wire bars, small dwarf hamsters may be able to squeeze through. Use toppers only if you have large dwarfs or a Syrian hamster.
- Ramps are steep, especially for smaller or dwarf hamsters. Check to see if your hamster is able to climb the ramps easily. You don’t want your hamster falling from the top ramp to the bottom of the aquarium.
- The food bowl is supposed to go on the top shelf. Because it can be light when empty, your hamster can easily throw it to the bottom.
- The water bottle is part of the little house that goes on the bottom of the tank. It’s a small water bottle that’s too close to the ground. Use a regular water bottle instead.
- The only way to get at your hamster is from above (unless you take the top off). So you have to bend over or have long arms to reach your hamster if he or she is on the bottom of the tank.
Easy to assemble
Easy to clean
Wire bar spacing too wide for dwarf hamsters
Parts are light and small
Here is the PetSmart version of an aquarium tank topper. Notice that there is no water bottle or small house.